Mount Kazbek is the third highest mountain in Georgia standing at 5054 metres. It has a difficulty grading of B2 and is one of the most popular climbing routes in Georgia. Heading North on the military highway towards Russia you will enter the stunning region of Kazbegi National Park in the North East of Georgia. Known primarily for the iconic Mount Kazbegi, the region is a stunning mix of tundra and high mountains with a feeling of wilderness like no other. Bordered by Russia in the north and dotted with ancient villages the area is a trekkers paradise.
Day 01 – Pre tour briefing and equipment check in Tbilisi. Tbilisi Transfer to Gergeti Trek to Altihut.
Morning transfer from Tbilisi to Stepantsminda 1882m . We quickly change our cars for a short transfer to Gergeti Trinity Church 2170m and the start of our trek up the mountain. There’s a short steep climb to start before we reach a ridgeline that continues up the mountain eventually leading to Altihut. Once at Altihut we can relax and enjoy the views.
- Lunch and Dinner Overnight at Altihut 7km 3 hr trek time 800m asc.
Day 02 – Acclimatization hike from Altihut to Arsha pass at 3800m
Following a champion’s breakfast in Altihut, our guide will take you for a strenuous trek up to 3800m to Arsha pass. From the top you can enjoy great views over Sno valley, Chaukhi mountains, Stepantsminda and Truso Valley Once back at the Altihut we can relax and enjoy a great dinner.
- Breakfast, Lunch pack and dinner
- 6 kms 3 hr trek time 800m Asc/Dsc
- Overnight in Altihut
Day 03 – Acclimatization trek to Meteo Station and church 3900m
After another champion’s breakfast in Altihut, our guide will take you to the Meteo Station were you leave your luggage and have a little rest before continuing for a trek up to 3900m where we visit one of the more unusual churches in Georgia.
- Breakfast lunch and Dinner
- 6 kms 4 hr trek time 900m asc/ 300m desc.
- Overnight in Meteo station
Day 04 – Summit Day / Reserve day in case of bad weather conditions
With good weather conditions, today will be the summit day. So, make sure to take on plenty of carbs and be prepared for a very early start at around 2am. Your guide will assess the weather conditions for attempting the summit, if he decides they are unfavorable there will be a day to relax in preparation for the following day’s attempt. After a successful summit we descend again to Altihut making a short break at the meteo station.
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- 15kms 14hrs trek time to summit 1400m asc 2040m
- Overnight in Altihut (If successfully summited) Overnight in Meteo Station (If reserve day needed)
Day 05 – Summit day in case the reserve day was utilized.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Overnight in Stepandstminda (If summit day on day 4 was successful)
- Overnight in Altihut (If reserve day used)
Day 06 – Transfer to Tbilisi
- Transfer to Tbilisi
- Breakfast included
Day 07 – Airport Transfer to Tbilisi International airport
- Free time
- Airport Transfer to Tbilisi International airport
- English Speaking Mountain Guide
- Driver and vehicle for transfers from to Tbilisi
- 4×4 Vehicle and driver for Gergeti transfer
- Overnight in Meteo station x 1-2
- Accommodation in Altihut 3014m x 3 – 4
- Accommodation in Stepantsminda x 1-0
- Accommodation in Tbilisi x 1
- All meals as per itinerary
- Food at Meteo statio
- Travel Insurance
- The following specialist equipment is not included but can be hired upon arrival:
- Climbing Equipment
- Climbing equipment can be rented from our partner company at a discounted rate for tour participants. P
Required kit list
Backpack for carrying your gear, all necessary equipment for the climb will need to be carried to the meteo station, where it can be stored for the summit day. (Main luggage will be transferred to the guesthouse in Stepantsminda and can be stored for the duration of the ascent)
- Day pack 35 litre for summit day(should be light and easy to stuff in main backpack when not in use)
- Down/ Fleece jacket
- Hiking pants
- Waterproof shell jacket
- Waterproof trousers or over-trousers
- Base layers (top and bottom)
- Warm hat
- Peaked cap
- Warm Gloves
- 1.5 litre Thermos to prevent water freezing at altitude.
- Warm socks
- Trainers or Sandals for guesthouses (recommended)
- Water bottle
- Quick-dry towel
- Personal toiletries (for mountain huts)
- Backpack rain cover
- Trekking poles
- Energy/protein bars
- Waterproof bags for your passport and other valuables
Other recommendations are:
- Mobile phone
- Adaptor if you bring any electrical equipment for charging batteries and/or your phone (two pronged)
- Personal medicine if required (please inform your guide in case of emergency)